Position: Chair of Multilevel Sustainability Policy and Governance
Location: Utrecht University, Netherlands
Deadline: October 13, 2023
Application Link: https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/jobs/chair-of-multilevel-sustainability-policy-and-governance-10-fte
Chair of Multilevel Sustainability Policy and Governance (1.0 FTE)
The Faculty of Geosciences is looking for a colleague that will hold the new position of Professor of Multilevel Sustainability Policy and Governance. This full-time professorship is affiliated with the Environmental Governance group of the department of Sustainable Development, also known as the Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development
Within this position, you will bring an ambitious research agenda that generates new insights into how multilevel policy and governance can support just sustainability transformations and much-needed innovative changes in society. The current central research themes of the Environmental Governance group are the role of actors and institutions in governance, the normative foundations of governance (justice and democratic legitimacy) and the relationship between governance and societal transformations. The new professor will add to and further develop this research agenda and lead research programmes on sustainability governance from local to European levels.
In addition, you will enhance the scope and quality of our teaching programmes and you will closely collaborate with experts in academia as well as with public and private actors in the development of project proposals, interdisciplinary education, and joint efforts for societal impact. You will also contribute to the management and successful leadership of the Environmental Governance group and of the Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development.
The chair holder will be appointed for 0.8-1.0 full-time equivalent. Depending on the extent of management responsibilities, the appointee is expected to spend around 50% of their time on research, 30% on teaching and 20% on management.
We are looking for a professor who brings multiple of the following qualifications:
- Strong social, organisational and strategic leadership, as evidenced by an inspiring vision on teaching and research;
- Broad experience in teaching at undergraduate, graduate and PhD levels and in the development of internationally competitive, high-quality teaching programmes;
- A doctoral degree (PhD) and proven further research expertise, with a disciplinary background in Political Science, Public Administration, Sociology, or Sustainability Science more broadly;
- Excellent international standing in the field of sustainability policy and governance, as evidenced by a strong publication record, successful engagement with international networks and projects, and a recognised contribution to the development of the research field;
- Significant experience in establishing and leading research groups, in the acquisition of research grants, in supervising PhD students and postdocs, and in mentoring early-career researchers;
- Interest in societal challenges related to sustainable development and experience in interactions with diverse stakeholders related to these challenges;
- Sensitivity to a highly intercultural collegial environment and to ensuring social safety for all.
We believe in a balance between individual and collective achievements, and we stimulate inclusive leadership at all levels.
- a position (1.0 FTE);
- a full-time gross salary between €6,648 and €9,680 in scale H2 of the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (CAO);
- 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- A pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) Dutch Universities.
In addition to the employment conditions from the CAO for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. These include agreements on professional development , leave arrangements, sports and cultural schemes and you get discounts on software and other IT products. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment through the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we encourage you to grow. For more information, please visit working at Utrecht University.
About the organisation
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major strategic themes . Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Pathways to Sustainability. Sharing science, shaping tomorrow.
Utrecht University’s Faculty of Geosciences studies the Earth: from the Earth’s core to its surface, including man’s spatial and material utilisation of the Earth – always with a focus on sustainability and innovation. With 3,400 students (BSc and MSc) and 720 staff, the Faculty is a strong and challenging organisation. The Faculty of Geosciences is organised in four Departments: Earth Sciences, Human Geography & Spatial Planning, Physical Geography, and Sustainable Development.
For more information about this position, please contact:
- Professor Frank Biermann (Environmental Governance group), via firstname.lastname@example.org or +31 30 253 5580; or
- Professor Ellen Moors (chair of the Selection Committee), via email@example.com or +31 30 253 7812.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
To apply, please send your application via the ‘apply’ button. Applications should consist of the following:
- a letter of motivation that addresses suitability against the MERIT (Management, Education, Research, Impact, Team spirit) requirements;
- a curriculum vitae, including a list of publications.
When invited for the second round, candidates will be asked to provide three names of contacts who could be asked for a reference letter. Applications will be considered by the Committee and shortlisted candidates will subsequently be invited for a first-round interview on the 15th of November. The second round will be on the 13th of December. Selection of and negotiations with the preferred candidate will take place thereafter.
The application deadline is 13 October 2023.