Location: Bayreuth, Germany
PhD (65%, 36 months) OR PostDoc (100%, 24 months).
The interdisciplinary research of the Professorship of Ecological Services (PES), University of Bayreuth aims at better ecological management of agricultural landscapes facing climate change. Towards this goal, a PhD/postdoc position is currently available to conduct research on decision-making of land users, land use change and ecosystem services.
Your research will contribute to interdisciplinary research where
universities, research institutes and stakeholders collaborate.
Open position: Modelling land use decision-making relevant for ecosystem services
phd (65% for 36 months) or postdoc (100% for 24 months), starting September 1st, 2022 or later
Your task: In this project you will contribute to the development of a
bioeconomic model linking the decision making of farmers and the impact on ecosystem services under climate change. Spatially explicit
information from agricultural statistics and from surveys on farmers’
and citizens’ preferences for ecosystem services is the basis to further
develop an agent-based model of agricultural land use which was set up in NetLogo. The results will drive process-based models to assess
ecosystem services of biomass production, carbon storage and nitrogen retention under climate scenarios.
This position is part of the BMBF-project “Sustainable use of alpine and pre-alpine grassland soils in a changing climate (SUSALPS)” in its third phase from Feb 1st, 2022 until Jan 31st, 2025.
Your qualifications for the open position:
- Candidates holding a Master or PhD degree in environmental, natural, social sciences, geography or economics are invited to apply, because the work will be interdisciplinary.
- Very good study record.
- Methodological knowledge in geostatistical models in R and/or agent-based models (preferably NetLogo) is desired.
- Since the case study area is located in Bavaria (Germany) and the work includes strong stakeholder involvement, very good German language skills are required.
- The Professorship of Ecological Services (PES) offers an interdisciplinary working environment.
- Membership in the Bayreuth Center of Ecology and Environmental Research (BayCEER) of the University of Bayreuth with more than 60 senior researchers and postdocs with a research focus on biodiversity, ecosystem functions and services.
- PhD students will be enrolled in the PhD program for Ecology and Environmental Research PEER, which offers support by mentoring, structured course program and access to workshops & seminars.
Handicapped persons will be given preference in cases with equal qualification. The University of Bayreuth is dedicated to increasing the proportion of women employed in science, and requests explicitly applications from women.
Applicants should send in one pdf a motivation letter, curriculum vitae, certificates with transcripts of grades, list of publications, 1-3 sample publications, and contact addresses of 2 referees via email to thomas.koellner[at]uni-bayreuth.de (Prof. Dr. Thomas Koellner, Faculty of Biology, Chemistry and Geosciences, University of Bayreuth, 95440 Bayreuth, Germany).
Open for applications until positions filled. See status on PES webpage or contact Prof. Dr. Koellner for further information.
Notes for applicants concerning General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) information requirements >>